The Shed - Orcs World

Go to content
The New Shed
Well I've been waiting for this shed for years and just when I have the money and have decided what I want the journey begun. Just to get the concrete base down was an epic battle. In the first round I contacted about 6 builders, only one answered and then did not turn up when he said he would and did not answer any emails or calls. This wasted about a year, then finally we got someone to quote which we accepeted and we set a date, then getting near the date an email to say he was too busy to start on that date and gave us a later date which we agreed. Then the same think happened again. This went on and in the end he said we should get someone else, great.

At the beginning of 2020 we managed to get another builder, he came around and quoted for the job with a start date in March which we accepted. Then covid appears, the skip was delivered on our drive the day before the lockdown. Marvellous. With the lockdown the Mrs and I decided to start clearing the bushes and plants from the garden where the base was going. the builder could not get hold of a mini digger and it has been so long he popped around to refresh his memory of the job. The Mrs being the Mrs then drops a bombshell and says Hmmmmm maybe the shed would be better on the other side of the garden. WHAT..... All that work for nothing. So the builder goes away and says he will be in touch when he can get a digger. In the meantime we start clearing the OTHER side of the garden, this involved removing a shed that was already there which looked well rotted, unfortunately looks can be deceiving the thing was a complete mare to take down. Anyway we managed to get it down and a large bush was removed, trouble was we could not get all the stuff in the skip as it was almost full from our first effort. The builder came and over the space of 2 days laid the 21' x 11' x 4" concrete slab, he said not to bother with another skip as the rubbsh we had could easily be cut up and taken down the local tip, easy for him to say. Anyway this is what we did over the space of a few days.
I was looking at going to a shed company up North as they had the configuration I wanted but a work collegue suggested someone local that they had used in the past and were good. This company was just up the road and you could send them your own plan and they would build it. So I produced a plan and sent it off to them. I was surprised when the quote came back as it was half the price of the other comapny, the only problem being with Covid their lead times had increased dramatically. The earliest they could install it was late October, it was now May. Nothing much we could do apart from accept it.
October came and the company turned up on time and the shed was built in one day, the conditions were not nice, there was a high wind and it was raining on and off. But here it is.
Here is the interior of the shed, as can be seen seen it is not the normal stud layout, there is bracing across the panels which would make it a mare to insulate. The first thing I did seeing as it was still quite windy was to go around inside to see if I could feel any draughts. There were quite a few where the roof joined the top of the walls. I decided to go around the whole shed and fill the gap with silicone and then cover with foil tape, this stopped all the draughts.
First things first I decided to lay some wood fibre underlay on the floor to give a little bit of insulation and to flatten out any small descrepancies. Luckily enough this was on offer at Wickies at the time.
Now to up the security a little bit. I removed some of the screws from the hinges and replaced with security screws. The existing padbolt was crap and they had just screwed it in place and not bolted it through, so I purchased a heavier duty one and fixed it with security screws and bolted it through the door and frame. Just to up the security a bit more i purcheased a steel bar from eBay for £30 and installed that by bolting through with M6 coachbolts. Both padlocks are high security.
Now time to lay the floor. I decided on 18mm tongue and groove chipboard, the kind used in lofts. Carrying this from the front of the house where it was delivered to the shed was a task and a half, those things are bloody heavy. Once I had worked out the pattern of laying it things were quite straight forward with the final row as always being a bit of a bitch. It went down well and I'm happy with it, I was originally going to go with the foam type home gym tiles, but I though they might rip with the metal racking and my office chair constantly running back and forth.
A little bit more security, bars across all windows. These were just flat iron strips bought from B&Q and cut to size and then drilled. I could not get any online with the sizes I wanted so decided to make my own, these are once again secured with security screws.
Also added a solar security light.
With the floor completed it was on to the polystyrene insulation. This was 25mm Jablite as I did not have the depth for anything else. The insides of the studs were marked at a 25mm depth and small panel pins hammered in to stop the sheets touching the outside wall of the shed. As I knew it would be, this was a complete nightmare of a job as every cut was different and I had to take into account all the angles. This stage took absolute ages and there was a lot of wastage. I tried to slighly overcut the sheets so they could be wedged in, this added more time as I did not always get it right. The foil tape is just to cover up any small gaps.
Next was running some Thermowrap around and stapling it, this did not take too long at all. Now all that's left is the overboarding with 12mm Plywood that can be seen stacked against the wall in the photo.
The best laid plans......Bent down on Christmas day to pick up the mother in-laws present and borked my back. I have been in agony the past 3 days downing a constant supply of pills....LUCK
Started a bit of overboarding, managed to get these two bit's done and then my back started playing up, so I thought I'd better stop.

Notice the new lights, see below.
Seeing as my back was still a bit iffy I decided to install some temporary lighting. I had been using the 2 site lights but the problem was I could not have the lights and the heater on at the same time as it drew a bit too much power through the extension lead for my liking.

I bought 2 of these off of Amazon, about £26 a piece.
Found a reel of flat cable in the garage and decided to use this.

Wago connectors are great and I had the lights up and wired in, in under an hour.

Not the most elegant piece of wiring, but it's only temporary.

I shoved a 3 pin plug on the end and that was that.
That should do it. They draw 100w as oppossed to the site lights 1000w.
I daisy chained a small 2 socket extension lead off of the main reel, basically to save buying a 4 socket 25m reel. The daisy chained lead has the overnight tubular heater and the fan convector plugged into it. The lights are on the main reel.

Both the fan heater and the lights are on remote controlled sockets which means I can turn them on from the lounge.

At this time of year when I finish work and go to do some work in the shed I have to have lights, but that meant I would have to work in the cold, not now.

I turn the heater on about half an hour before I go down there and then the lights when I am just about to go down there.

The other good thing is when I pack up I can leave the lights on which makes it easier for me to lock up with the security bar and turn them off when back indoors.

I might see what is available to do this when the electrics are done properly.
The Mrs got these from Costco in Southampton they were on offer £7.99 for a pack of 3.
Just a short video of me standing in the lounge and turning the shed lights on.
Getting on with the overboarding.
Decided to add a third light as this will be the bench area.
More overboarding, it's getting there.
More overboarding goodness.
One last bit to do. This is getting knackering, a full day at work and then 4 - 5 hours working in the shed.
This has been a godsend. A 12v Bosch Flexiclick Drill with 4 interchangable heads, the offset one is great. Probably one of the best things I have bought, for work like this it is really handy. Countersink drill in the chuck, screwbit in the holder just swap heads as you go. Well worth the price

Another thing that has come in well handy, a magnetic wristband. To be honest I thought it was a bit of a gimmick, but bloody hell does it save you some time. Instead of keep going to the screw/nail box you just stick em to your wrist. Another really good buy and cheap too.

Overboarding finished.
A quick trip to Wickes to get some CLS timber for the benching. 38 x 63 £3.25 a length, I originally went there to get some 47 x47 pack of 6 for £33. Saw this at the end of the aisle and decided to go with this because it was cheaper and also I could inspect each length to make sure it was not warped which is hard to do in a pack, you normally cut the banding off and the wood springs everywhere.
Nipped into Screwfix to get the garage consumer unit. £28 and a new circular saw blade £9.99.
Whilst in screwfix picked up a set of little shelves to get the tools off of the workbenches and floor. £14.99. I've seen the other racking I want on eBay, that will come later. I have also decided to insulate the roof, seems stupid not to after I have done all the walls, I'll start on that next.
Started insulating the roof.
Started the framing for the bench. One thing that did piss me off a bit is the floor is way out of level. The bench is going to be 2 inches higher at one end than the other, but you have got to have a level bench.
Another thing that pissed me off, I went down the shed the other night and noticed this.
The bloody roof was leaking in two places, this is the worst one. I had a look at the roof and could not see any rips or puntures but I think the wind, when in a certain direction, is pushing the rain underneath the felt as the felt was lifting from the roof in the wind. I have emailed the company but have not heard back yet. I will ring them tomorrow.

Lucky this happened before I had finished the insulation otherwise I would never have noticed.
Roof now insulated, I've left a couple of pieces out where the leaks were till they are fixed. I might also run some thermowrap over it as I have 3 rolls left over.
Getting on with the bench framing now. I have already cut the bench tops. I'm using 18mm Plywood and a bench depth of 750mm, this should give me enough workspace with room to put cabinets, paint holders etc at the back.
Page is getting a bit long so I created a new level and a second page.
Which is HERE
Back to content